We all want the best for our gardens or lawns. We want it to look beautiful and attractive. One way to do just that is by planting it with lush and green grass. But how can you do that?
Well, the answer to that is simply using the best-rated grass seed. In this article, we’re going to tell you why you need this, as well as which grass seeds are the best ones.
Table of Contents
The benefits of having a grass seed
1. Better survivability
Perhaps the best benefit that you’ll get out of planting grass seeds is that your grass will have better chances of survivability. This happens because you have a lot of choices when it comes to the variety of seeds that you’ll be using.
What happens when you plant a single variety of grass is it becomes susceptible to disease, drought, and stress. This is because of the same characteristics and features that the grass seeds have.
By having a mix of different grass seeds, you can avoid this unfortunate possibility from happening.
2. Easy to plant
You don’t need to work throughout the entirety of the day when you’re planting grass seeds.
It’s because these are fairly easy to plant. You just need to have them delivered to your house, place them in a wheelbarrow or spreader, and just have a walk while pouring them evenly on your lawn.
After that, you can just use a plow and cover them with soil. There’s no need to do advanced agricultural techniques. It’s just doing the basics.
You’d save a lot of money if you were to opt to plant grass seeds instead of laying sod or turf grass on your lawn. Why?
It’s because you’ll spend around $600 to $800 if you were to use turf grass throughout your 2,000 square feet lawn, when in fact, you can just spend a few hundred dollars for a 2,000 square feet lawn if you were to plant grass seeds instead.
Things to consider when buying a grass seed
1. Foot traffic
The first thing you need to consider is the foot traffic. What we mean by foot traffic is how much your grass will be stepped or trampled on.
If you expect that a lot of people will be walking on it, then it would be best if you were to choose a tough variety of grass seeds that can tolerate heavy foot traffic.
On the other hand, if you’re just going to stare at it and have it as an addition to your house’s aesthetic appeal, then you can choose whichever grass seed variety you want.
2. Climate of your place
You also need to factor in the climate of your place. Remember that grass seeds need to suit well with the temperature of your place.
There are grass seed varieties that grow well in warm tropical weather, and there are also those that thrive in cold climate regions.
Before buying, it’s best you learn more about the climate of your place.
You need to be extra careful with the pricing of your grass seed of choice. It’s important to remember that expensive grass seeds don’t necessarily mean that they’re of higher quality than the cheaper ones.
There are some instances when more affordable grass seed varieties are purer and can tolerate more stress and foot traffic than the more expensive ones.
For you to know if it’s worth the price, you can check if it is mixed with other seed varieties. You surely don’t want to keep on plucking weeds from your lawn by the time your grass seeds grow.
Top 5 best-rated grass seed
1. Pennington Seed Fairway Supreme Perennial Ryegrass Blend
The Pennington Seed Fairway Supreme Perennial Ryegrass Blend is a good choice if you’re looking for a thriving grass seed for your lawn.
This product gives you a premium dark green turf that ensures your lawn will look neat, clean, and relaxing to the eyes. If you’re living in a place where the sun shines bright, this is what you need.
This is perfect for golf courses, house lawns, yards, and soccer fields. It can cover up to 5,000 square feet, which is pretty good, knowing that this weighs 50 lbs.
- The seeds grow fast. You don’t need to water it regularly because it easily retains moisture.
- It features a very dark green color which adds beauty to your lawn and your home in general.
- It needs a lot of maintenance work.
- There are also some places where weeds can grow. You need to remove them regularly to maintain the look and beauty of your lawn.
2. Jonathan Green 41000 Heavy Traffic Grass Seed
The Jonathan Green 41000 Heavy Traffic Grass Seed is another choice you might want to have. It weighs 7 pounds and can cover a 2,800-square-foot lawn. The grass seeds are also assured to be 100% superior as it is specifically designed to grow abundantly and to have a green color. It features a mix of different varieties of grasses. This assures you that it can tolerate drought and diseases if ever something like that happens. This is because these things will only be confined to a specific grass variety mixed in the package. The grass seeds are even formulated to be insect resistant.
- The grass looks very vibrant and lush green. It adds beauty to your lawn and your house.
- You won’t find any traces of pests or insects, thanks to the insect-resistant feature it has.
- Though it can tolerate extreme temperatures, it doesn’t do well if it experiences heavy foot traffic. They are meant to be used on lawns which are for the purpose of adding beauty.
3. DC Earth Creeping Red Fescue
You can also choose the DC Earth Creeping Red Fescue Grass Seed. If you want to place this in a shady area, just like under trees, then this would do perfectly well for you. This is one of the toughest grass seeds in the market because it can tolerate extreme temperatures. This package weighs 5 lbs. It can grow up to 12 to 24 inches tall when it reaches maturity. This blooms during the summer months. You can plant this on almost any kind of soil, be it loamy, sandy, acidic, or even dry soil.
- This grows great on shady lawns. It adds depth and beauty to your place because of the tall but streamlined green-colored grass.
- Its growth is perfectly even, and every part is the same in length. You won’t see any patches.
- There are other seed varieties mixed up with the grass seeds.
4. GreenView Fairway Formula Grass Seed
The GreenView Fairway Formula Grass Seed is another product you might want to try. It is a very tough grass seed that can tolerate severe drought. This will do great in sunny places because of its ability to efficiently photosynthesize the sun’s heat and use it to make its color greener. It can also tolerate heavy foot traffic. It weighs 5 lbs. and can cover an area of 500 to 1,000 square meters.
- The grass grows perfectly and evenly. It looks very neat and adds beauty to your home.
- You don’t have to worry if the weather is too hot because these will still thrive even in the driest of days. It doesn’t need much watering.
- It doesn’t grow well in places with cold climates. However, you can place them in sunny areas instead so that they can receive enough sunlight to sustain their growth.
5. 5GallonBucketHydro Certified Organic Wheatgrass Seeds
The 5GallonBucketHydro Certified Organic Wheatgrass Seeds is also a wise choice. What makes this grass seed special is that it is tested to be germination efficient. It is also a non-GMO product, so you don’t have to worry about the risks of artificial modification.
- It can tolerate heat pretty well. The grass doesn’t easily dry up during the summer months. You don’t have to worry about drought because it’ll survive even in the driest or hottest of days.
- The grass grows evenly. It doesn’t have any patches or uneven growth spurts.
- Some weeds grow a few months after planting.
- You need to cut and trim it because it grows very fast regularly.
Out of the five products reviewed, the best-rated grass seed to emerge is the GreenView Fairway Formula Grass Seed. It can tolerate extreme temperatures and conditions, can do fine even with heavy foot traffic, and gives you a clean and trimmed look which adds beauty to your place. It also doesn’t need too much maintenance because it can pretty well survive on its own. If you want to have your money’s worth, then this is the grass seed brand you need to have.