John Deere 318 tractor is a perfect solution if you need a smaller, more compact garden tractor. And our John Deere tractor reviews will show you why.
So, if you want to know more about the main features, specs, power, and performance, inspect the guide, and decide whether or not the yellow-green machine is the best option for you.
- The tractor was the most popular garden model back in the day due to comfort, power steering features, and drum brakes on the rear wheels.
- It could use two engine types, and you could pick a better model based on your needs and operations.
- The tractor was ideal for medium and large gardens and lawns.
- Due to various attachments and controls, farmers could use the tractor for daily and night performances.
Table of Contents
- John Deere 318 Specs: All You Need to Know
- John Deere 318 history
- John Deere 318 dimensions
- John Deere 318 engine
- John Deere 318 mechanical
- John Deere 318 transmission
- John Deere 318 Power Take-off
- John Deere 318 electrical system
- John Deere 318 tires
- John Deere 318 Three-point hitch
- John Deere 318 attachments
- The most reliable JD 318 buying tips
- Is John Deere 318 valuable?
- What are the alternatives?
John Deere 318 Specs: All You Need to Know
John Deere lawn tractors are the most efficient on the market. The same applies to the John Deere 318 lawn tractor.
But, if you’re still wondering if the machine is suitable for you, pay attention to the details below.
John Deere 318 history
The John Deere 318 tractor was a well-known lawn tractor produced by John Deere in Horicon, Wisconsin. The garden tractor belonged to John Deere 300 Series, and the production year took place between 1983 and 1992, so the machine is still young.
The John Deere 318 tractor was sold for the original price of $5,099 (1983) and later $5,650 (1989). In addition, the John Deere tractors from the 300 Series had the following variants:
- 318 – air-cooled gas
- 322 – liquid-cooled gas
- 332 – diesel
The serial numbers also changed during the production so that farmers could find the following numbers for the correct replacement parts:
- 1983 M00318X222001
- 1984 M00318X285001
- 1985 M00318X315001
- 1986 M00318X360001
- 1987 M00318X420001
- 1988 M00318X475001
- 1989 M00318X595001
- 1990 M00318X010001
- 1991 M00318X100001
- 1992 M00318X110001
- Final M00318X120000
John Deere 318 dimensions
The John Deere 318 is an excellent lawn tractor, perfect for lawn mowing, and utilizes multiple attachments.
Overall dimension specs
|Length||68.5 inches (173 cm)|
|Height||44 inches (111 cm)|
|Width||44 inches (111 cm)|
|Wheelbase||46 inches (116 cm)|
|Operating weight||836 lbs (379 kg)|
|Shipping weight||780 lbs (353 kg)|
|Max front axle||790 lbs (358 kg)|
|Max rear axle||1200 lbs (544 kg)|
John Deere 318 engine
The John Deere 318 tractor was famous for its ease of use and operator comfort. However, many owners claimed the lawn tractor was also ideal for its engine upgrade, unlike other garden tractors in that period.
Thus, the 318 lawn tractors used two engines, and the second engine model replaced the first in 1987 due to a higher displacement and RPM rating.
However, both engines offered the same power – 18 horsepower each.
In addition, the fast idle engine speed was 3450 RPM without load, and the low idle engine speed was 1350 RPM. But let’s see their specs for a better understanding.
|Engine type||18HP Onan 709cc two-cylinder gasoline||Engine type||18HP Onan 781cc two-cylinder gasoline|
|Engine model||Onan engine B43GgasolineTwo-cylinder four-valveair-cooled horizontal-shaft opposed twin||Engine model||Onan engine P218gasolinetwo-cylinderair-cooled horizontal-shaft opposed twin|
|Displacement||709 cc (43.3 ci)||Displacement||781 cc (47.7 ci)|
|Bore/stroke||3.25 x 2.62 inches (83 x 67 mm)||Bore/stroke||3.25 x 2.88 inches (83 x 73 mm)|
|Power (gross)||18 hp (13.4 kW)||Power (gross)||18 HP (13.4 kW)|
|Air cleaner||foam and paper||Compression||7:1|
|Idle RPM||1350-3450||Torque||31 lb-ft (42.0 Nm)|
|Starter volts||12||Torque RPM||2200|
|Sparkplug||JD AM38622 NGK BPR5EFS Motorcraft AGSF32||Starter volts||12|
|Sparkplug gap||0.025 inches (0.635 mm)||Sparkplug||NGK BPR5EFSChampion RS14YC|
|Sparkplug gap||0.025 inches (0.635 mm)|
|Oil capacity||1.75 qts (1.7 l)||Oil capacity||1.75 qts (1.7 l)|
John Deere 318 mechanical
The John Deere 318 is a 2WD tractor with an open operator station and hydrostatic power steering for maximum control and comfort. Thus, the machine is a perfect tractor for multiple law tasks, but the quality makes it perfect.
Refer to the table for more key features.
|Steering||Hydrostatic power steering|
|Brakes||Differential mechanical drum brakes|
|Cab||Open operator station|
|Fuel capacity||4.5 gal (17 l)|
|Hydraulic system capacity||1.2 gal (4.5 l)|
John Deere 318 transmission
The John Deere 318 offers hydrostatic transmission with infinite forward and reverses gears. Thanks to this mechanical ability of the relatively new tractor, it is ideal for unusual terrains, as you can adjust the speed and gears for multiple operations.
|Transmission||Sundstrand Series 15 Model 90|
|Gears||Infinite forward and reverse gears|
|Oil capacity||5 qts (4.7 l)|
|Forward speed||7.3 mph (12.4 km/h)|
|Reverse speed||3.7 mph (6.2 km/h)|
John Deere 318 Power Take-off
The John Deere 318 is also specific for its Power Take-Off system. The model uses two PTOs. Front and rear PTOs are independent, and both systems use electric clutches.
You will be safe while driving the tractor, as the tractor’s electromagnetic clutches offer maximum protection.
So, the John Deere 318 is an excellent tractor for all the attachments necessary for gardens, lawns, and front-end loaders.
John Deere 318 electrical system
The JD 318 model is similar to other tractors, as it needs 12 volts for optimal performance. However, the battery quality of the batter prolongs its life, offering better performance and prolonged working hours for the engine and electrical system in general.
Electrical system specs
John Deere 318 tires
Tires are essential for multiple operations, and farmers don’t like leaving muddy traces afterward.
|Ag front||4.80 4.00-8|
|Ag rear||23 x 10.50|
|Lawn/turf front||16 x 6.50-8|
|Lawn/turf rear||23 x 10.50-12|
John Deere 318 Three-point hitch
Three-point tractor hitches are ideal for all farming tasks, as you can easily attach various tractor attachments and finish your operations effortlessly.
Refer to the specs for more information.
Tractor hitch specs
|Rear lift (at 24”/610 mm)||640 lbs (290 kg)|
John Deere 318 attachments
The tractor uses the following attachments for all heavy-duty and lighter operations:
- 38” mid-mount mower deck
- 46” mid-mount mower deck
- 50” mid-mount mower deck
- 46” snow blower
- 47” snow blower
- Front-end loader
All the implements are high-quality, durable, and vital for more robust uses. Below you can find the specs for the best service.
Mower deck specs
|Mower deck type||38” mower deck||46” mower deck||50” mower deck|
|Mower deck model||John Deere BM16600||John Deere M00595||John Deere BM16377|
|Length||38 inches (96 cm)||46 inches (116 cm)||50 inches (127 cm)|
|Width||49.7 inches (126 cm)||57 inches (144 cm)||68 inches (172 cm)|
|Number of blades||2-blade||3-blade||3-blade|
|Lift type||Hydraulic lift||Hydraulic lift||Hydraulic lift|
|Cut height||1-4 inches (2-10 cm)||1.5-5 inches (3-12 cm)||1.5-4 inches (3-10 cm)|
|Weight||100 lbs (45 kg)||116 lbs (52 kg)||186 lbs (84 kg)|
|Belt type||John Deere M89090 (primary)John Deere M71729 (primary)John Deere M82538 (secondary)||John Deere M82718 (primary)John Deere M41668 (secondary)||John Deere M82718 (primary)John Deere M41668 (secondary)|
And, here are the main specs for the JD 44 loader:
JD 44 loader specs
|Loader weight||500 lbs (226 kg)|
|Height to pin||71.5 inches (181 cm)|
|Clearance, dumped bucket||21 inches (53 cm)|
|Dump angle||50 degrees|
|Reach at ground||44 inches (111 cm)|
|Rollback angle||20 degrees|
|Breakout force (bucket)||575 lbs (260 kg)|
|Lift to full height (at pin)||400 lbs (181 kg)|
|Bucket capacity||0.21 cu yd|
0.2 cu m
0.24 cu yd
0.2 cu m
|Bucket width||48 inches (121 cm)|
54 inches (137 cm)
The most reliable JD 318 buying tips
Here are some valuable tips for choosing a good 318 model.
Remember that the assembly line nowadays might be in a better condition due to full use and the years of production. However, the tips below will be helpful when choosing an optimal JD 318 tractor.
- Check for rust on the frame and inner parts
- Inspect general wear and tear to see the condition
- Examine the possible leaks under the tractor
- Inspect the broken tail lights if any
- Look for the grass clippings and check their location in the engine compartment or the rear axle
- Examine the performance to see possible unusual noises
- Ensure the mower decks, hood, and other attachments are newer models with no damage
- Inspect the possible rust
- Check if the tractor starts quickly
Is John Deere 318 valuable?
Below, you can find some advantages and disadvantages of the model to determine its value.
- Durability – the tractor offers extended working hours and lasts for years, even with full use.
- Electromagnetic clutch – ensures safety while riding the machine.
- Annunciator light – helps with the night work. It’s located on the dashboard to use the snow blower or loaders to move heavy equipment.
- Hydrostatic power steering – for the effortless maneuvering of the machine; comfortable and effortless operations for maximum efficiency
- Rugged for all terrains – suitable for hills and flat surfaces
- Difficult to find the machine – nowadays, you need to consult your John Deere dealer and visit local auctions to see whether the tractor is still selling. It’s hard to find it available.
- Parts are difficult to find – only some are lucky enough to easily see all the details and attachments. You need to dig a bit and find the available models.
What are the alternatives?
The most popular tractors next to the JD 318 were the JD316 and the JD 322. But first, let’s see their differences.
JD 318 vs. 316
- Both tractors share a robust frame so that they will last for an extended period
- 316 does not have the power steering like 318
- 316 only has one spool valve
- 316 doesn’t have split or dual brakes, whereas 318 has
- 316 has a smaller price than the JD 318
JD 318 vs. 322
- 322 uses a quieter engine, and with proper maintenance, it can last up to 4000 working hours
- 322 offers too many parts, and old extensions that are hard to find
- 322 doesn’t provide a hydro cooler
- The radiator in 322 is a bit undersized
- 322 comes with a higher price tag than 318
If you think the JD 318 is the best option for your gardens and lawns, hurry and find it now.
Although it might be hard to find all available models, please get in touch with your authorized dealers and visit local auctions to find the best price.
Even though it might be an older machine, the tractor will last for a few years and serve for more robust use.